finanlly, when you are too slow, life will take care of the rest.
the phone shattered, on the ground.
blind with tears I tumble out on the street, wait, a little reason has survived, no cars, stumble, pick the two pieces up, look at the phone, dare a little smile inbetween two sobs.
finally, the phone is dead.
the black guy in the white shirt asks me repeatedly 'are you okay'
I can't help the confusion I don't know I don't know.
So I pick everything up and just think fuck fuck fuck. he leans the bike at the housewall. I cry, he leaves. Another guy appears on the scene, as if it was a giant stage and actors following invisible cues. He talks to me, I hear a voice through the fog but I still don't know. I don't know what to do. My phone is dead. I can't call anybody. I want to call the Gypsy but then, in the haze, I think how ridiculous that is, why worry someone who is so far away in so many respects.
Yet another guy appears. He is bald, in a weird contrast to the curly hair of the other man. He finally takes charge of the situation, calls the police, the paramedics.
I still just cry, Gosh can't you pull yourself together. I am fine, I am fine I say, I don't even realize the wound on my left elbow. But really I am, hey, I am alive and hey, I am not smashed, right?
I sob at the thought of my bike but it seems to be miraculously okay.
And then I laugh at the thought of what went through my head when I scraped myself off the street: SHIT now my glasses are broken!
The Marc Jacobs glasses.
The ridicule of the situation takes overhand.
The paramedics say I shouldn't wait for the police to come, it would take too long. So I go to the station down the street. Still under shock. I am there for six SIX! hours. One officer tells me that it's not their job to file the report so they have a Sheriff come in. He comes in after one hour and tells me that it is their job to do that. It is crazy.
I don't have the heart to go to an emergency room after that. I just lay down at home and cry and ask my wife to come to take care of me. She does.
Next day the medical center explains me it's not their job to check me up I have to go to the state hospital. I don't have a car. I don't have a phone. Everybody is still sleeping. I don't wanna wake anybody up. It's so ridiculous that I start to laugh.
And I think of the police officer who was all alone in the station and did everything by himself. How patient he was with all those frustrated people
The woman who wanted to file a report on her ex-husband who sent threatening harrassment mails. The woman who wanted to kick people out of her apartment. The lost cellphone people. The guys coming in in hand cuffs. THe transvestites using the bathroom. The whole human drama unfolding in front of his eyes.
The girl who got hit by a bus.
No comments:
Post a Comment