Thursday, July 26, 2007

how long how long

'How long do you want to still live this life?' he asked. He asked, 'how long do you plan on still living this life, beloved?' I laughed, laughed it away, laughed to disguise the knot in my throat that threatened to break through in a sobbing sigh.
Well, I said, well, I said I was going to be here for one more year, but what it exactly will hold I don't know.
'No, I mean, will you continue to just work or...'
No, no, I will start taking college classes in fall...
'What kind?'
Uhm, something like psychology, languages, writing, things that interest me, we'll see...
'Aha'
yeah...you know, Dad, you know, sometimes I think the same thing. I think, damn, how long can I do this still? I don't know if I can. Sometimes I regret not having auditioned for that theater project. Sometimes I think I should have gone for it. But then I tell myself to shut up, to not regret, because it makes sense and it is legitimate to do what I do. I know that I could do it like my sister, crazy, somehow, following a dream and it would work out, somehow, but I want to take on the responsibility I have. I do.

My sister told me once, somebody who knows what he wants finds a way. Somebody who doesn't know what he wants finds reasons.

I guess I walk the line, between those two. I know what I want but I found reasons too.

I have the feeling something will happen this fall and I don't know what it is but it will change my life. Maybe I will be in Paris all of the sudden.

No comments: