quite frankly, if a former Motown 'Funk Brothers' band member and among musicians supposedly very well known guitar player would offer to take you under his wings and get you on the next level 'if you are ready and able to commit, but when you commit you commit and there is either yes or no and nothing inbetween!' would you take that offer on?
Yesterday night I had this encounter with this guy. He played a clinic at our school and a bunch of students and I talked to him afterwards and in the end I was the only one left. We had a great conversation, as if we had known each other for a long time already. We had the same sense of humor and he is as blunt and direct about things as I am, so I appreciated that a lot. And in the course of this conversation he mentioned that if I want to I am welcome to pick his brain on anything I'd like to know.
I asked him what he was like as a little boy.
I haven't heard of him prior to seeing him in school and I am not impressed by names but I have a lot of respect for the work he has done, and boy, does this man know how to play a groove.
On stage he mentioned something about 'focus, concentration and discipline' the three words that describe my needs and sent students off stage because they didn't listen for real what he was trying to tell them. I liked that. This is exactly the problem. People not listening to each other. So I got curious.
As the coffee is boiling on the stove I am listening to Bob Dylan and feel a certain annoyance though.
He talks too much. He has too much of an explanatory attitude. Something like 'this is why I am like this. lalalala' Just BE man. Greg, the guy who had invited him made a much better impression on me. I like humble people. Nevertheless I stayed with, lets call him Motowner just to keep his name a secret, because I was curious why this inner voice told me to stay.
He, too, felt that there was something, maybe some information we have for each other but we couldn't figure it out for real.
My problem is, that I don't know whether I deserve ... no WAIT. That's a stupid fucking excuse. I don't know whether it is my way, my path, my destiny to commit to the guitar in a way that will demand ALL of my focus, concentration and discipline.
I don't know. I would love to play with people like him, learn from him, it is all I love, anything that grooves, the good old stuff. But such an Either Or person will ask for all you have.
Do I have it?
Do I want to give it?
Do I need it?
Or will I let the plate pass me yet another round?
It's interesting and I have no idea what to do. I am waiting for further instructions. Damnit! When my inner voice got me into this it has to come up with a next step. lol. I mean, hey, i skipped practicing for that night, just to hang out with this guitar legend! I wondered secretely whether I could justify that but sometimes you have to make priorities. Not for the sake of being able to say 'I played one of my songs for this and that legendary guy!' but for the sake of following something through that is based on my intuition. And my intuition hasn't failed me yet.
All I really realised after coming home though was that I miss my prince so much. I can't help it. Still. I just can't fucking help it.
I guess it's alright.
No comments:
Post a Comment